Tuesday, January 19, 2010

FREE PENGUIN CRAFT TUTORIAL / PATTERN

Our theme this week is polar animals. We are doing so many fun activities, and I want to share as many of those with you as possible. I work with toddlers (ages 1 and 2 primarily) so I have to change many activities to meet their needs. Feel free to use the ideas for your child(ren) in whatever way would best suit them. My first FREE craft pattern is below. I still do not know how to attach a pdf file, and I am working on it, but in the mean time, just right click and save the file to your computer and print it. The quality isn't great, but it's just a craft pattern . . .

Once you have printed this craft pattern, you can cut it out from the appropriate colored construction paper, or if your child is older, let them work on scissor skills and cut it themselves. This is a fairly easy project. For the eyes, I use circle punches. You can find these at craft and hobby stores, or you can cut them out yourself. Use regular school glue to put your craft together as pictured. I try to let my toddlers have as much freedom as possible when creating. I think they do a great job! Before creating this penguin, we read a book about penguins and looked at pictures. We also pretended to be penguins and waddled around the room looking for fish.

Tomorrow, we are going to read another penguin book and play a musical iceberg game. The icebergs are going to be different colors so we can work on our colors.

I want to share this website with you though. www.Childcareland.com She has WONDERFUL ideas for early childhood educators. I refer to her website often and am part of her email list. I was looking for some extras for our polar animal theme, and I found her Five Little Penguins poem and a penguin write on/wipe off board to add to theme.






No comments:

Post a Comment